[Please check out my new blog, Jonesing For Film, a movie review blog]
I compiled this list with the one criteria that I couldn’t include any of the “big” bands of the 90s Rock scene. So Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, R.E.M., Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, U2, Foo Fighters, and a few others were excluded. They’re not exactly “deep cuts” and a few of them were big hits, but a few of them have also probably gotten lost in the shuffle. Almost every time I hear them, I’m transported back to high school.
20. Filter – Hey Man, Nice Shot: Before “Take My Picture” there was this song.
19. Collective Soul – Run: Varsity Blues soundtrack
18. Counting Crows – A Murder of One
17. Barenaked Ladies – Alternative Girlfriend: I love two lines from this song. 1.) “Your parents understand, but you don’t care.” And 2.) Old at being young, young at being old.”
16. The Eels – Novocaine for the Soul: Before I sputter out…
15. The Dandy Warhols – Not If You Were the Last Junkie on Earth: Heroine IS so passe.
14. The Nixons – Sister: I had forgotten this song and was very happy when I stumbled across it a few years ago.
13. The Presidents of the United States of America – Peaches: Always loved these guys. Hard to pick between this and a few other songs.
12. Schtum – Skydiver: This song makes me think of the Saturday Morning Recovery Show on 94.3 WCYY.
11. The Sundays – Summertime: I wish this band had been bigger. I love the voice of the lead singer. Also great is “Here’s Where the Story Ends.”
10. Local H – High-Fiving M.F.: “Your glory days are over and so’s your stone-washed jeans.” Yeah, take that, hair bands… (NSFW because of language)
9. The Flys – Got You (Where I Want You): For the teens who didn’t watch Dawson’s Creek, this song, for the Disturbing Behavior soundtrack, made us fall in love with Katie Holmes. Also, the rest of their album sounded NOTHING like this song.
8. Butthole Surfers – Pepper: Quiet, loud, quiet loud. “They were all in love with Di and they were doing it in Texas.”
7. Spacehog – In the Meantime: I still don’t understand all of the lyrics, but I love this song.
6. Seven Mary Three – Lucky: “Cumbersome” is a grungier song, but I loved the stripped down nature of this song.
5. The Bogmen – Suddenly: Just a fun, funny song. I shout this one out in my car whenever it comes across my iPod.
4. Soul Coughing – Super Bon Bon: Awesome awesome awesome beat.
3. Everclear – Santa Monica: The best Everclear song. Great guitar riff. And one of my favorites of all time.
2. Rustic Overtones – Iron Boots: Horn section in this song is so awesome. Hard to find a clean version on YouTube because they’re not well-known outside of Maine. But this is easily one of my most favorite songs of all time.
1. Temple of the Dog – Hunger Strike: I said no Pearl Jam and no Soundgarden, but I didn’t say anything about Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell together in the same song. Again, one of my most favorite songs. Ever. Period. Special bonus, I’m posting the music video AND the surprise performance that they sprung on the world a few years back that gave me chills.